Thursday, February 11, 2016

Chocolate cookies that capture the heart.

For those times when I need a quick treat and want to use whats on hand, I grab one of my frozen staples...puff pastry, filo dough or pie crust.


Valentines calls for hearts and a girls best friend...chocolate!



If you've been looking for a foolproof, quick recipe,  here it is.  You can use any of the prepared dough's I mentioned .  Frozen bread dough will work as well.   The technique is the same for all.  The best part you are only limited by your imagination for the fillings.  




At room temperature roll out the dough into a thin square.  Spread (soften) butter over the entire surface.  Sprinkle mini semi chocolate morsels, chopped nuts and granulated sugar.





Start rolling the dough at one end until you reach the center. 


Follow up by rolling the  opposite side until they meet up together.




Slice and gently shape the bottom into a point to form the  heart.
Refrigerate for 20 mins until chilled firm.




Bake at 325 for 12-14 mins until golden brown around the edges.

Cool and dust lightly with powder sugar.  
I used an assortment of containers to pack up my chocolate hearts.  I adore these Red and white polka dot  oversize mugs!   Trimmed with a vintage hearts and Cupid  Valentine tag and dot ribbon to match.





 Another favorite....tin mailboxes.
I took an inexpensive tin mailbox and covered it with a textured foiled paper.
For an added touch I  created a pedestal by gluing a glass candlestick to the bottom of the mailbox.  




The chocolate hearts fit perfectly in my mailbox.



The flag is up...for a special Valentine delivery!


(Google Image)

Sara's Sweet Surprise wishes you a
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

2 comments:

GranthamLynn said...

Oh Sara these do looks so good and soooo easy. I'm going to try today! I've pinned your post so I can remember to come by again!
Thanks for sharing these!
Have a good week.

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Grantham Lynn~They are very easy! Various flavored jams work wonderfully too. I made them recently with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Perfect with a cup of tea.
Thanks for stopping in for a visit!

Sweet Wishes,
Sara